Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Book Thief

I have to say that I really enjoyed this novel. However, I have always been interesting in Nazi Germany and the Holocaust, so it wasn't surprising to me.
I think this novel has a lot of redeeming qualitites that would allow for it to have a place in a classroom. I think one of the major themes that could be focused on is adversity. When I was at Waynesboro this past week, one of the lessons that they focused on dealt with adversity and I really enjoyed it. It seemed lik the students did, too.
I think this novel would be interesting to compare with "The Diary of Anne Frank". It would give two different aspects of the time period and what things were going on.
When I read this novel, it reminded me of the movie that just recently came out "The Boy in the Stripped Pajamas". This movie was great. It is about a young boy whose father is a very important soldier in the German Army. Because he was recently promoted, the family moves to a new house, which to close to a caoncentration camp. I don't want to give too much away, because I would recommend watching it, but the little boy befriends a young boy in the concentration camp. They become friends through the fence.
Although tells a different story compared to what we read in "The Book Thief", I think that it would be beneficial to show. Both the novel and the film show Nazi Germany through the affects that it has on children. That could even be a topic to focus on in a classroom.
Here is the URL if anyone is interested in watching the trailer :http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi751566873/

4 comments:

  1. I haven't seen The Boy in the Striped Pajama's movie yet but I liked the book. If you haven't read the book yet make sure you do so.

    I made the comparisons to the other stories as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The Boy in the Striped Pajama's" is the saddest movie ever!! I couldn't stop crying for days after seeing it. And it's based on a true story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This movie would certainly work well with the text. I'm interested in learning more about what you observed during the lesson on "adversity." How would you incorporate this text into a lesson with the same theme?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a very sad movie! I think I remember hearing that it was based on a true story.
    The lesson with adversity dealt with a man who jumped out of an airplane and his chute failed. The class discussed what he could have done in this situation; give up or keep trying and overcome it. I think that there are may situations in this novel that deal with situations like this.
    One of the projects that she had them do with this was to draw overcoming adversity. A lot of students drew a wall that could be climed over or broken through. I think the students enjoyed that lesson, and I found myself ejoying it, too.

    ReplyDelete