Monday, September 14, 2009

Forever . . .

I read forever about a week ago, and I thought it was a very interesting novel. The ending was predictable, although I wanted to them to stay together, I knew it was coming.
While reading the novel, I was very surprised at the sexual explicitness that took place. When I think of novels that deal with sex in these terms, I would often think of a "steamy" romance novel, not an adolescent literature novel. This would definately be a controversial book to teach in an adolescent classroom. How does a teacher discuss something like this without certain parents getting upset. However, if the teacher knows how to handle it, this novel can be taught in a proper fashion. Basically what has to happen is that the teacher has to allow the students to take over. Let them be the ones who start discussion on topics like this. It could still be considered controversial, but I think that it could be done. I don't know that it is something that I would want to teach right away, but maybe after a few years I would consider it.
As I was reading through Trite, a quote stuck out to me "Sexual potency is a common metaphor for empowerment in adolescent lit, so the genre is replete with sex" (84). Because I have read ahead several novels, I can see that is is absolutely true.
Trite also discusses the fact that the novel is almost like a guide to having sex. It contains most, if not all, of the major concepts that go along with sex. This is something that would seem to intrigue students, because there are the age when they are like Micheal and Katherine, they are thinking about sex a lot. However, Trite makes sure to mention that Blume also lists the consequences of having sex. I think that this is a great point to be made.
Overall, I thought Trite made some excellent points about Forever. They were points that I had not thought of. She really seemed to bring more insight and understanding to the novel.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, this book would be extremely hard to teach because of how much controversy there will be. Even though our moms probably snuck a copy home and read it, most parents will not approve. I think it would be a good summer reading book where the kids can write their own paper or do a project on it, or a book that maybe they can read in health class. If the kids are taught about more STI's and problems that will occur, I think parents would allow it to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading several people's arguements about not teaching the book, I have to say that I am rethinking my own post.
    This book may not be as great as I thought. It is a little outdated, and it does show Michael as being very pushy about sex. Kath keeps saying no, but then gives in.
    This really is a girl based novel. I think it would be hard getting male students to read this.
    Although I thought it was a descent novel, I would have to really have to think hard whether I would want to teach this or not.

    ReplyDelete